Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 11 Unwired...OH HAPPY DAY!

HALLELUIAH, PRAISE THE LORD I AM UNWIRED! As soon as the doctor clipped the first wire I felt some relief. It was an amazing feeling being able to talk, open your mouth, stick your tongue out and brush the tops of your teeth. It felt like my tongue was in a prison. You know I love games and I was getting good at charades to explain what I wanted but it was not that fun. Being able to talk and express my feeling was just plain wonderful. Even better than being able to talk was eating real food! I had us stop of one of the few fast food restaurants in my area to get some glorious mashed potatoes and my husband got a mexican pizza  and a few other items( it is a KFC/Taco Bell). I love mexican pizzas, it is one of my faves. I couldn't resist taking a small piece , sticking on my tongue, and sucking on it! It was like heaven on my tongue. I did have to spit most of it out but oh it was still tasty. I know sounds strange but you have know idea how food deprived I have been. How I miss bold flavors and textures. For the past 10 days, I have had watered down soups and smoothies. The mashed potatoes were so tasty. I know I will get board of soft foods but it is such a glorious step forward. Since I was little girl, I have always loved food. My dad helped me with this love. He always talked about enjoying your food and his favorite part of amusement parks was the junk food. You know I do feel blessed that I was raised to be able to eat for taste. My family never had a lot of money but we never went without food on our plates. I know in some parts of the world people eat for survival and taste has nothing to do with it.

One thing to be praying for is one of my incisions is open and just to be safe, he put me on antibiotics. They moved my lower left jaw about 10 mm forward and my right jaw about 8 mm forward. I have to wear rubberbands 24 hours a day and do some jaw strengthening exercises. Right now I can open my jaw a couple centimeters, but in 2 weeks the Dr wants me to be able to open them 30cm.   Anyways, I feel free and excited to be one step further in my recovery.


6 comments:

  1. Chelsea McCaffertyJune 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

    Woo hoo! Freedooooooommmmmm! hehe I yelled it like in Braveheart. So happy for you and you are looking fantastic my friend! You enjoy those mashed potatoes and your fabulous new jaw! hehe Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a journey! I've read all your blogs and I'm happy you decided to document and share your experience with us. Praying for continued, speedy milestones *hugs* <3

    -Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great. What a journey. I can tell you as a spouse of a jaw surgery patient it is awesome to watch the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are inspiring, Jen. I can't believe what a difference each day makes. It's a priviledge to be included in your process; thanks for inviting us in and sharing. I'm standing with you. ~Sarah B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive had my jaw wired for 5 weeks the doctor just called and I go in thursday to have them taken out I have screws holding my wires in place I broke my jaw in 3 places I also have a permanent plate in my chin I was 140 pounds I lost 20 pounds in that first week when I got used to this liquid diet I gained three pounds when I went back yesterday to see if everything was good im ready to eat some real food and im glad this is about over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kelly that is pretty crazy! I am glad you are over the hardest part! I pray for a speedy recovery! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete