Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 53... a little more normal

Each week I am feeling a little more like myself. I pasted the 6 weeks mark and pasted a couple of milestones. I am able to lift 5lbs and therefore can go shopping by myself. Also, I am able to blow my nose now and I am start adding more items into my diet. I can eat most foods I can cut with a fork that doesn't cause pain when chewing. Some new food I can eat are salmon, shredded chicken, meatloaf, peas, pasta, and soft bread. Chewing is becoming a little easier and taking a little less time. I am slowly trying new foods. It feels good to be able to cook food that both my husband and I can eat together. I am eating soups and smoothies several times a week in between more solid meals.

My last doctor appointment went pretty well. All my incisions are healed and look good. My mouth opening is not within normal range. It should be at 30mm by now but I am at 26mm. I know that isn't much but it takes a lot of work to get it there. In the morning my opening shrinks after all night with it closed. I have to use a heat pad to help loosen the muscles and stretch my jaw 5 times a day.  I am starting work soon , so I hope I can do it. I am still numb on my chin and parts of my lower lip. I have some tingly feeling in it which is a good sign.  He said that in 6 to 9 months my jaw should be back to normal and I will be able to eat anything! WOOHOO!  

Driving is feeling more normal and I am doing it more often. I am starting to get into a normal schedule. My hubby and I went on my first big outing a couple of days ago. I was feeling more normal and I had more energy. It was free museum day in the city and we spent 2 and 1/2 hours walking around the museum. We then went down to fisherman's wharf and had clam chowder in a bread bowl! It was so yummy and I could eat some of the soft bread! We did some more walking and had fresh mini donuts for dessert (they were super soft). After all that I was exhausted.  We still had grocery shopping to do on the way home. Even though , Derek said he could go in and do it by himself. I went in. Needless to say on the way home I feel asleep! It was only 6:30pm. So I guess I am not completely back to normal, but I am getting there....  

1 comment:

  1. The face is probably one of the most important parts of the body. If a person has a deficiency or excess in the jaws, it may cause chewing, breathing or esthetic problems. Teeth are straightened with braces (orthodontics) and corrective jaw surgery repositions the misaligned jaws. Such procedure may enhance facial appearance.

    ReplyDelete